This post is dedicated to my Mom. Without whom, this post wouldn’t have been possible due to my lack of knowledge of these beautiful, majestic tunes.
I was doing a late night brainstorm session with a fellow Advertising student. During the session, we would play 70s and 80s music just so we can sing out loud and release our creative juice. He was really surprised of my vast knowledge of old songs and I explained, it’s because when I was a kid (around early 2000ish), my family would have annual road trip and my mom would play the mix tape* she had made specifically for the road trip. It was about 5 hour drive, so just imagine the same cassette tape for 5 hours straight. Playing over and over and over and over again. The songs got really ingrained on my brain.
So this post is a reminiscence of my childhood and exploration of what if those songs are actually describing Volkswagen?
Stevie Wonder would say,
And Whitney Houston (RIP) just lost it.
The correlation to the brand is everyday motoring pleasure. These talented singers found the pleasure aspect from Volkswagen brand and translating it into beautiful music. Meanwhile, I had fun reminiscing my childhood and imagining “what if.”
*I still remember exactly the list and I swear I didn’t ask my mom:
- Barry Manilow – Can’t Smile Without You
- Barry White – Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe
- Santana – Smooth
- Earth, Wind, and Fire – Let’s Groove
- Genesis – Firth of Fifth
- Phil Collins – Feel It In the Air Tonight
- Robbie Williams – Beyond The Sea
- Earth, Wind, and Fire – September
- Santana – Game of Love
- Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman – Something Stupid
- Elton John – Can You Feel The Love Tonight
- Barry Manilow – Copacobana
- Phil Collins – You’ll Be In My Heart
- Santana – Maria Maria
- Van McCoy – Do The Hustle
- Bee Gees – How Deep Is Your Love
Whew, I think that’s it!
U137 – The Nostalgic Tune